Tuesday 29 March 2011

Never perfect?

Most of us constantly complain about ourselves, physically and even emotionally...

We look into our reflection and we see ourselves: the way we are and most of all who we were supposed to be from that minute in which we were conceived. Never mind all those variations of chromosomes and alleles, we were chosen for a specific reason to get to who we are today - ourselves.

Most of us look into the mirror and point out and critisise our negative traits, and in this modern day, due to media endorsement 'nobody is perfect', which I think is extremely unjust and insensitive. We see all these 'beautiful, perfect figured' women, which some of us can't be, impossible to be like, as we are ourselves, unique and beautiful the way we are - who do we need to prove ourselves to? The mirror, no, it's an inanimate object that fools us into believing we aren't good enough.

I watched an inspiring program tonight called 'Katie and her beautiful friends', about burn victims and people who have deformities, this features their emotional heartbreaking stories which brought a tear to my eye. The program was initially created to help those individuals gain back their confidence and overcome their fears of appearance, but me watching it made me realise how hard their lives must be, both physically and emotionally. On the program tonight Katie Piper had an open night introducing her charity called 'The Katie Piper foundation', which I think it absolutely fantastic and so kind hearted of Katie to do, the dedication in which she is inputting is unbelievable and so kind. I am inspired by Katie as she is confident in herself, and she is still as beautiful as she was before, and even inside, she is just as beautiful due to her kind heart and giving and sharing of support to others like herself.

This may sound like a phrase on a trite T-shirt, but we are all beautiful and perfect just the way we are, nevermind how physically different we are to our peers, we are unique, individual and most of all inspiring to others.

Next time you look at yourself, say "this is who I am, this is me. I am proud of myself physically as I am who I am, who I was made to be" because, you don't need to please anyone, you live for who you are, what you believe in, go around with your head held high. You are beautiful whoever you are and whatever you look like.

Just an end note: If you haven't already watched Katie's series that I have mentioned, I reccommend you do, it is inspiring and it shows what real people are, and who we should be: supportive, understanding and caring. Thank you Katie Piper, you are a true inspiration to me, and to all those people who have deformities...

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with this! I saw the advert for that program but never got round to watching it! I'll definitally be watching when I have some free time though :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely watch it Lorz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that one should be proud of who they are - celebrate their uniqueness and not dwell on imperfections. Unfortunately, I'm a realist who has traveled enough and see enough to know that even if you accept yourself for who you are and what you have to offer - it does not mean others will.

    ReplyDelete