Thursday 24 March 2011

The 'C' word - Cancer...

We have all heard of the 'C' word... Cancer.

It may be slightly ironic that I am once again mentioning Nigella, but when I have read up about her and her earlier life, I found that she had a late husband called John Diamond - who was also a Journalist. They married in 1992 in Venice, she and her late husband had two children together called Cosima and Bruno. Sadly John died of throat Cancer back in 2001...

I read numerous articles about his illness and how him and his family coped with it... Including his two children who at the time when he was diagnosed in 1997 were very young: Cosima being three and Bruno only being one (too young to understand). I found it upsetting to think that being diagnosed with a serious illness threatening to kill him, would affect his new family and all that he has worked for in his life. I watched a few videos which included her husband, her and their two children cooking, it brought a tear to my eye looking how happy they were, and how positive John was being with his children and making the most of his life.

I was intrigued to find out more about John's illness and how he coped, during researching I found a book John had wrote and published called 'Because Cowards Get Cancer Too', this book looks interesting, I want to buy it so I can understand more about how Cancer affects people and their day to day lives. I couldn't imagine being diagnosed with such a life threatening illness, especially having a loving family around me forming into a great life.

John Diamond's book that I want to purchase

Yes, Cancer is a common illness, but I don't think people fully understand - even I don't, about the effects of Cancer unless they have lived with someone suffering, but even then they can't feel their pain, their emotions, their fears. It must be such a struggle to live and fight each day as it comes, I understood this from an extract from John's book stating him asking Nigella to help him commit suicide as he couldn't take it anymore, the pain was too much and that he felt he knew the fatal outcome. Nigella refused to help him as she wanted him around for the children as long as possible, and she wanted him close to her, which is really sad to think that Cancer can cause such desperation to want to die, it must be so heartbreaking to fall like that and to see someone in that state of mind. Before he died, one of his last messages was "How proud I am of you and what you have become. The great thing about us is that we have made us who we are." this is so sad to think he had to leave his wife and children, that he won't see grow up. His last message showed that he was so proud of his wife and that how they met through their jobs, it also shows they made each other how they wanted to be, and that they achieved life together, and lived it exactly how they wanted to live it - happily and beautifully.

John, Nigella, Bruno and Cosima

I love a song at the moment called 'Cancer' by My Chemical Romance, it is such a lovely, emotional song, acting from the perspective of someone with Cancer, the lyrics are so understandable. It shows someone understanding that they may die "Gather all my things, and bury me in all my favourite colours", this line shows someone preparing to go, which is so sad as Cancer is damaging.




I couldn't imagine living with the pain and struggle of someone with Cancer or having Cancer myself. RIP to John Diamond and  all those poor people who have died of the horrible illness, and if you are one of those who have been diagnosed, stay strong and I am praying for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment