Wednesday 14 September 2011

Being a teenager

We discussed today in Literature about being a teenager, the challenges in society, how we are seen from others perspectives: whether positively or negatively.

I am sixteen years of age, so I’d say I was in the middle of my ‘teenage' years. Being a teenager hasn’t changed me as a person apart from the obvious, growing up faster and the realisation of right and wrong in more depth and justification. Most of all realising who I really am, and that thinking that the future was a long way a way, but in actual fact it was all an illusion… I was too blind to see that the future was just around the corner. Everything I done when I was younger was for a specific, important reason, that reason was preparation, preparation to introduce me into a world which seemed so small at the time.

I am beginning to understand the bigger picture in the world, not just what was in front of me to analyse, but I now understand what is going on around me and that things do matter… In a way I wish I was younger so I didn’t have the constant worry at the back of my mind of what I will do after my Alevels… Will I excel in what I want to be? Will I go to University to further study? These questions I never thought I’d ask myself, I thought these questions were optional, but now I realise that in fact it’s reality, I am in reality, and no longer in a child’s innocent world when running around and having a care free mind was a novelty. I wish I didn’t have to reach these stage in life: decisions approaching, decisions which I know I won’t be good at making due to my indecisive trait.

Apart from education and the understanding of the world, it’s giving others an impression of yourself: physically and mentally. Impressions are important, these are what make you recognisable, memorable and what make you who you are. I ask myself should I have to change my opinions and the way I act just to make myself look ‘acceptable’ in others perspectives? Or should I be myself? I will be myself, besides if people don’t accept or understand you for who you are, then those people aren’t worth keeping.

Being a teenager… I like it, I like the feeling of responsibility, matureness, independence but I loathe the approaching future: the challenges coming up… When will they begin, and I ask myself when will they stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment