Tuesday 20 September 2011

Beauty

This post – the main part, isn’t going to be filled with clichés, I know you are possibly thinking so as the word ‘beauty’ has so many attached to it…

In Philosophy we were asked the question “What is beauty?”, this question needn’t to have been answered, as there is no question of what beauty is, beauty is a concept rather than an a opinion. We all know what is meant by beauty as we all have different ideas to what is perceived as beautiful, we all have knowledge to know on a scale which is higher or lower than another. However no one truly understands beauty. There is no such thing as true beauty, as this is defined as something unchanging, eternal and perfect, nothing in this world is defined in that way, therefore true beauty is outside this world – it can’t be fully understood or recognisable - it’s fantasy. "Beauty" is not defined as appearance, but in other ways such as music, films, poetry or literature... I find songs beautiful (two of these shown in Philosophy today: "Nearer my God to thee" by André Rieu and "God only knows" by The Beach Boys), I find films beautiful such as "Jane Eyre" and the wonderful classic "Titanic", I find poetry beautiful such as "Do not stand at my grave and weep" by Mary E. Fyre, "Spring in War time" by Edith Nesbit and "I Carry Your Heart" by E. E. Cummings. I find literature beautiful such as "The Lifted Veil" by George Eliot.

To me (even though these are clichés, they to me, are very true): nothing is perfect, everything is beautiful in it’s own way, beauty is indefinable, what might be less beautiful to me, may be more pleasing to the eye to you… Beauty is everywhere, in everything we do, it's easy to come across, however difficult to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment