Tuesday 25 January 2011

"What if?" - we all ask this question.

"What if?" I know this is something that is quite trite and perhaps slightly philosophical? We all ask ourselves this question, in a way it is asking 'is that the right thing I done?' basically it is looking back and perhaps regretting or re-thinking about the past - dwelling.

I thought about this recently when I was talking to someone about the Physics program called 'Horizon: What is reality?' and the thought of "what if?" something was this way, would we be here now? It brought me back to when I watched a film a couple of years ago called 'Sliding doors' it is like a double-sided stories, if she missed the train after work that day she would have done... and when she caught the train she done this... It really made me open my eyes that one little thing could change someones life. The first side of the story: When she caught the train she got home and caught her husband with another woman, this totally changed her life, she found someone else etc. The second side of the story: She missed the train as a little girl was running about and bumped into her on the platform for a split second, she got home and everything was normal, her husband's mistress had gone before she came back. On one side of the story she has a horrific accident - I think it was a car accident, and on the other I think she had a miscarriage. I cannot fully remember the film, but it was amazing and it made me realise what reality was. "What if" relating to the girl in the story, her what if's were essential really, her life totally changed because of one split second. Imagine if I had done something different in my life, even if I wasn't writing this blog right now, would I have been doing something else, would I have the same emotion etc? It's endless. Should we really be thinking "what if?" or should we let the future, come and go, making the world continously spin around like always, or should we stop, and think, think how our lives would be different if we weren't who we are today.

To me the truth is simple, we are who we are, we are who we were supposed to be, the future happened as it always would. A time machine? To do what? To bring you back to "reality" well in actual fact the reality is present, who we are now, what we are doing now. NOW. It's all about now. I have learnt, the past is what it was. Life goes on, the past fades, no matter how much we try and bring it back. We will not feel the same that we did back then, we will not have the same emotion and connection to the past then the actual moment of that second we were there.

2 comments:

  1. I Agree i think its on everyones best intrests to NOT ask the "what if" questions. i think if we asked that about every situation in life it would drive us to insanity. On the other hand it sounds like a good film >_<

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete