Wednesday 1 August 2012

'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

After being recommended 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak from the Librarian, some English teachers and two of my friends, I first of all felt sceptical as they all gave me high expectations of it. When people highly recommend a book, I am often let down, as was the case with 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini. However, in the case of 'The Book Thief', I was totally mesmerised and glued to it from the prologue onwards with the starting of: "First the colours. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try." Due to this, I read 'The Book Thief' in three days... As the cover states: "When Death tells a story, you really have to listen"

I found this book unique and interesting as it is narrated by Death, which gives the book a rather eerie yet apt feeling as I read. This book captures my emotions and inner feelings, causing me to express sympathy towards the time in which it was set: Nazi Germany. The characters seemed so real and accurate for the time period through their tribulations and their rare happy moments: their actions, their thoughts and feelings. Death seems to be a living, breathing creature who is fed up of the constant picking up of souls and witnessing of deaths. (He) chooses therefore to concentrate on one female in particular called Liesel due to her interesting character and hobby of thieving books. Death narrates the growing up of Liesel, whose rebuilt life falls into turmoil as her country (Germany) goes to war and her family try to conform to Nazi society (while at one point hiding a Jewish fistfighter in their basement).

Death’s narrative has a juddering structure which kept me infatuated by it. Through out the book there are small announcements, which are usually wild understatements, ironic and sarcastic, Death’s summaries are short, harsh and straightforward, making him an interesting character to listen to. I as the reader felt intrigued to know the true character behind Death, the short yet rather revealing annoucements gave little insight into his character, surrounding his character with mystery. The final line of the book is ambiguous towards his character: "I am haunted by humans."

I truly recommend this book to all those who love books based on historical fact, those which create emotions and books which are heartfelt and cleverly wrote. Markus Zusak to me has created a masterpiece. 'The Book Thief' for me is the most poignant book I have ever read, and perhaps the only one I will read causing me to cry at the end. Perhaps this is due to the fact the events could have happened down to the nature of Nazi Germany... The reality of this book is harsh yet realistic and inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment